Job Title: Kitchen Lead Cook
Job Location: Bergen Gardens (1475 Molson)
Reporting Manager: Home Environment Director
Reporting to the Home Environment Director, the Kitchen Lead Cook will be responsible for preparing delicious dishes for our elders and guests. Duties will include prepping meals by weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients, cooking meals, checking ingredients for freshness, and arranging and garnishing the dishes. The Kitchen Lead Cook will also ensure that the kitchen and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained.
WHO WE ARE:
Bergen Gardens, located in North Kildonan, is a unique Seniors Community where those who live, visit and work here experience a culture of creativity, choice, and well-being. Using a citizenship person-directed philosophy, we’re taking the focus away from personal care homes as biomedical solutions to a relationship approach where both Care Partners (staff) and citizens can build community together.
Bergen Gardens offers a friendly and positive work environment. We believe that when people are surrounded with opportunities to maintain connections with pets, nature, and people of all ages, they will continue to thrive and grow as a person.
Some of the perks that are included in working at Bergen Gardens include competitive wages, a health care spending account, group health benefits, long-term disability, life insurance, and a group DPSP/RRSP matching program. We want work to be a source of pride and personal fulfillment for our staff as they contribute to our joint success!
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Provide for the nutritional needs of our elders by following the facility menu, special dietary needs, and recipes. Also, make recommendations to the Home Environment Manager or Home Environment Director for changes to the menu based on customer feedback.
- Prepare meals and make them according to the menu.
- Ensure that food is prepared and served following approved food handling techniques to ensure optimum nutritional quality, flavor, appearance, and proper temperature.
- Make efficient and proper use of food, dietary supplies, dishes, and cutlery to control costs.
- Assist in maintaining adequate inventories and ensuring proper quality.
- Ensure that proper storage procedures are followed for food purchases and other supplies when deliveries come to the home.
- Communicate any problems with the order to the Home Environment Manager or Home Environment Director.
- Advise the Home Environment Manager or Home Environment Director of the need for new equipment and/or utensils and food purchase changes.
- Prepare food for special events in the home as required.
- Report the need for repairs in the kitchen promptly to the Maintenance Officer.
- Endeavour to be fiscally responsible with the ingredients and equipment that are in my workspace to ensure that funds can be spent sensibly.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Completion of Grade 12 high school diploma or equivalent.
- Certificate in institutional food preparation is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant cook experience especially in leading others.
- Currently hold a Food Handling Certificate and Smart Choices Certificate.
- Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards and health codes.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy, concern, and interest in providing quality care and service to elders.
- Ability to communicate with well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to fluently read, write, and speak English.
- Ability to speak another language is considered an asset.
- Ability to interrelate well with others and establish positive relationships with elders, their families, other staff members, volunteers, and the public.
- Ability to adapt quickly in a progressive change-oriented environment.
- Maintains interest in learning more about person-directed care.
- Ability to manage the associated physical, emotional, and psychological demands of the work involved.
- Has an excellent understanding of computers and the associated programs required in the everyday work of the Dining Cook.
Are you excited about new ways of engaging and caring for seniors? If so, you could be a great fit for Bergen Gardens.
Food Handling Certificate
Smart Choices Certificate