Community Builders is a growing non-profit housing provider based in Vancouver which strives to offer a superior level of service, housing and support to the most underserved and vulnerable members of our communities. With 20 years of expertise in Vancouver's urban core area, specializing in multi-residential housing acquisition and operation, community development; support for persons with physical health, mental health and addictions issues; property management; emergency housing provision; and social enterprise development. Community Builders utilizes a bottom-up development approach that empowers participants to find their own paths to wellness. Community Builders supports inclusive environments which allow participants to achieve their personalized goals and operate housing centers that are safe and supportive.
Shift Days and Hours - Overnight availability (Monday to Sunday 11:59pm-7:59am) & Weekends open availability.
Salary: Starting at $25.05 per hour
What’s In It For You?
- Fulfilling work supporting the most vulnerable members of our communities.
- Competitive salary and extended benefits.
- Comprehensive training program.
- Opportunity for growth and development within the organization
Functions and Responsibilities
Working in and from the worksite, the Support Worker provides assistance and support to residents in their living environment while encouraging independence, self responsibility, and healthy lifestyle choices. Participates in activities to contribute to the upkeep and maintenance of building standards.
- Assist with resident support by identifying potential problems and reporting any difficulties to the Building Coordinator and Management.
- Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential emergency situations such as clients’ aggressive behaviour to ensure no harm come to the resident and/or the public.
- Observes residents and identifies and assesses potential emergency situations, and develops short term strategies to deal with such situations including de-escalating challenging behaviours.
- Provides supportive feedback and behavior management to residents, their families, and their personal networks, to assist with the development of physical, social, emotional, and life skills such as maintaining personal hygiene, housekeeping (garbage removal, laundry assistance, dishes, changing of linens, sweeping/mopping of floors, bathroom cleanliness etc.), meal planning and preparation, making and keeping appointments, and interpersonal skills.
- Provides medication support, in accordance with established policy.
- Provides meal programs or support in accordance with established policy.
- Completes hourly rounds of the building and grounds to maintain safety and security of the housing site, addressing issues if found.
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation in Community Builders database such as resident interactions, progress reports, and daily logs.
- Ensures the maintenance, cleanliness, and safety of programs and residence by completing janitorial and maintenance tasks as directed.
- Assists with monthly room checks if required.
- Conducts wellness checks.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Be informed of Harm Reduction policies and be available to support residents with safe use practices, including overdose response or first aid when required.
- Restock and clean harm reduction room.
- Maintain cleanliness in amenity and lobby areas.
- Maintain and clean staff and shared bathrooms.
- Assists care aids and Home Support with resident rooms and personal care support when required.
- A minimum of completed Gr. 12 education.
- Six (6) months of recent related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Certificates in Narcan Training, Standard First Aid/CPR , and Non Violent Crisis Intervention training (NVCI) - Criminal record check (Asset)
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination/harassment without regard to Indigenous identity, race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age of that person or because that person has been convicted of a criminal or summary conviction offence that is unrelated to the employment or to the intended employment of that person.
Job Types: Casual, Part-time, Full-time
Salary: From $25.05 per hour
Expected hours: No less than 24 per week
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekends only
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Day Shift (required)
- Overnight Shift (required)
Work Location: In person