Department: Service Nova Scotia
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 05-Oct-23 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At Service Nova Scotia, we impact every citizen, business, and municipality in Nova Scotia. Our mandate is to design and deliver programs and services to meet the needs of our clients and the public good through a culture of excellence. Service Nova Scotia vision is to be recognize leader in service and public protection that delivers trusted, accessible, modern programs, and contributes to Nova Scotia as a safe and desirable place to live, work and do business.
The Financial Services Division/Operational Accounting has an opening that will provide the opportunity to apply your excellent client service and financial expertise in a setting that offers challenges and values collaborative teamwork and innovative thinking. Under the general direction of the Manager, Operational Accounting, you will be responsible for leading and supervising the performance of staff in the delivery of transactional financial services with complex and specialized central services to government departments, agencies, and other government units.
As the Coordinator, you will specialize in government wide daily, month end and year end business processes, provide critical support in financial systems troubleshooting, system testing, completes analysis and provides solutions to a wide variety of financial challenges and electronic interfaces. In this role, you will use knowledge of Government policies, procedures, and business processes to ensure the accurate and consistent completion of data processing and reporting functions using the Province’s Corporate Financial Management System (SAP).
You will ensure financial information processing and reporting processes are accurate and timely while adhering to Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAB); as well as ensuring that service standards are monitored and achieved. As part of a team-based environment, you will provide support to the other team members of Operational Accounting and participate on teams assigned to special projects.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of Accounting Services including the work assignments of staff to ensure that services provided are timely, accurate and customer inquiries are responded to in an efficient way.
- Approves travel claims emanating from various departments of the provincial government of Nova Scotia after due diligence with respect to appropriate policies and guidelines, often requiring in-depth discussions and multi-faceted communications with various stakeholders.
- Finds solutions to complicated issues related to travel, partnering with staff in departments across the government of Nova Scotia, maintaining established relationships and escalating matters to the manager whenever necessary.
- Coordinates work with members of the team, providing motivation and guidance so that deadlines associated with month end and year end are met.
- Develops, implements, and monitors internal controls and accounting procedures/processes to adhere to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Public Sector Accounting and Auditing Board (PSAAB) standards, Government Accounting policies, client departmental policies and requirements within the Corporate Financial Management system (SAP).
- Manages the performance of staff including setting, monitoring, reporting on, and updating client service standards, setting performance expectations for staff, monitoring the performance of each staff member on a regular basis, conducting formal performance appraisals annually, recommendation for increments, casual hires, and recommendations for disciplinary action as necessary.
- Provides Director and Manager with advice and technical support on accounting systems, procedures, and processes by developing technology-based solutions to accounting and administrative process problems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Financial Services and/or Director, Financial Services. This will include representing the Financial Services Unit at interdepartmental and/or departmental meetings or committees.
To be successful in this role, you will have 3 years Post-Secondary Professional Accounting training plus 6 years related experience. The related experience shall be in Accounting, preferably in Operational Environment and Human Resource Management with several years in supervisory capacity. Actively working towards a professional accounting designations will be considered an asset. You will have proven supervisory skills to coach, mentor, develop staff and evaluate performance. Experience in the interpretation and application of policies, procedures and business processes in a large, dynamic, and complex organization is essential.
In this role, you will require strong Organizational Skills and attention to details to assist you in interpreting complex data within a dynamic and rapidly changing environment. You will have a client focus and excellent interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with a variety of internal and external clients. Demonstrated proficiency in SAP Financial Module or a comparable large Enterprise Resource Planning Application (ERP) is essential. You are proficient in the use of Computer Systems, Database Systems, Internet-based Applications, Spreadsheets, and Word-processing packages.
You will have demonstrated ability to set priorities to effectively manage multiple deadlines in a high-volume team-oriented environment with a strong customer service focus using superior Organizational and Time Management skills. Additionally, you have demonstrated in your previous work experience, the ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement, analyze and reconcile accounts, strong troubleshooting skills, leadership competencies and human resource management skills.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly demonstrate how they meet each of the stated qualifications in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
This position offers the opportunity to enroll in the Flex NS working hours.
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace.
- Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward thinking policies and strategies.
- Countless Career Paths
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: TE 24
Salary Range: $2,358.22 - $2,777.49 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].