Position: Shelter Worker
HOURS/SCHEDULE : Full-time Monday to Friday 11pm - 7am
New Hope Centre
The Salvation Army NHC programs and facilities provide transitional housing, rehabilitative services, referrals to, and assistance with, social supports (housing, finances, employment, health & well-being, social, spiritual, cultural etc.) treating all people with dignity, service, and compassion.
Mission and Values:
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
POSITION PURPOSE SUMMARY
Shelter Support Worker is responsible for providing client-centered support to program participants and clients at the Nanaimo NHC
The front desk worker is the touchpoint for all staff, clients, visitors, volunteers and programs at the NHC. It is a critical position that requires an energetic, multitalented, versatile individual who is capable of prioritizing, organizing and multi-tasking.
The Job: Love people.
- The front desk worker is the touchpoint for all staff, clients, visitors, volunteers and programs at the NHC. It is a critical position that requires an energetic, multitalented, versatile individual who is capable of prioritizing, organizing and multi-tasking.
- Ability to uphold appropriate, consistent boundaries.
- Knowledge of available community resources in Nanaimo.
- Works closely and collaboratively with Case Management team.
- Receives clients and visitors, and monitors access to the facility.
- Uses sound judgement while working in demanding conditions and circumstances.
- Promotes the independence, safety and overall quality of life of those in care of the NHC.
Front desk administrative duties.
- Record, track, maintain and report all client related data (ie. financial, housing, occupancy & vacancies, case management, internal and external statistics, etc.)
- Manage and maintain all NHC Program Participant financials.
- Conscientiously observe the confidential nature of the agency’s service to its clients and participants.
- Manage client medication.
- Act as a mobile, secure and supportive presence in the facility while monitoring behavior, basic structural and operational conditions as per policies and procedures.
- Ensure the public areas are maintained according to NHC standards.
- Provide written reports as requested by management.
- Attend all staff meetings and training seminars related to agency services as requested.
- May be assigned other related duties according to agency needs at the discretion of the NHC management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Post-secondary diploma or certificate is preferred (Social Work, Psychology, Counselling, Mental Health and Addictions, or related field.)
- Fundamental understanding of homelessness, poverty and addiction and barriers faced by NHC clients.
- Superior people skills.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly proficient on computer; fluent in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent ability to work well in a fast-paced and high-stress environment.
- Flexible and creative.
- Strong time-management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
NOTE: A Federal Government “Enhanced Reliability” Security Clearance and Criminal Record Check are a pre-requisite to employment commencement.
The use of a personal vehicle is not required in the performance of duties. This position requires union membership.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $24.16-$24.66 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
- Secondary School (required)
- Mental Health & Addictions Support: 1 year (preferred)
- First Aid Certification (preferred)
- NVCI (Non-violent Crisis Intervention) (preferred)
- Naloxone Training (preferred)
Work Location: In person