The Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre (DEWC) exists to support and empower women and children, living in extreme poverty in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver, who are particularly vulnerable to violence, exploitation, injustice and injury. Through low barrier Drop-In Centers and Emergency Shelters, DEWC provides basic need services, programs, and specialized supports to over 700 women and children daily to help them survive the conditions that surround them. See website (www.dewc.ca) for details on our mission and mandate as well as programs and services.
The Peer Support Worker is responsible to support women to secure practical needs and access support services, while managing crisis in the Drop-in and/or Shelter. Promoting principles of peer support she will work in collaboration with other DEWC staff to promote integrated services to women and in-centre volunteers. She will work from a feminist perspective and within an anti-oppression framework.
- You have a minimum of 2 years related experience preferable within a drop in and/or shelter environment.
- You will promote and articulate the mission, mandate, philosophy, and values of DEWC.
- You are knowledgeable of the issues impacting women in the dtes, including gender-based violence, mental health, homelessness, and addictions with an understanding of trauma-informed care responses.
- You have the ability to work calmly within a busy, chaotic, crisis driven environment where there are multiple demands and prioritize.
- You are familiar with other support services, agencies and community resources.
- You have strong conflict resolution skills and demonstrated crises intervention training and experience
- You have or will obtain a First Aid Certification and NVCI.
Benefits of Joining the DEWC Team Healthcare:
- Extended health & dental coverage* including vision, prescription medications, alternative therapies, EAP, life insurance and long-term disability.
- Paid time off: 3 weeks paid vacation in the 1st year, 4 weeks after 1 year; 13 paid statutory holidays; 12 paid sick days annually; and access to time off to handle family or personal situations.
- For your Retirement: Enrolled in the Municipal Pension Plan* with a matching contribution from DEWC.
- Other perks: Compressed work schedule; employee loan program; regular staff development days; and DEWC employees are considered first for any open positions.
*enrolment & eligibility conditions apply
- Compressed work Schedule
- Union position: BCGEU hourly rate $24.23 + $1.50/hr overnight shift premium(For overnight shifts only)
- Application Closing Date: Until Position is Filled Start Date: ASAP
For full job description visit: www.dewc.ca/careers
Indigenous women and women of colour are strongly encouraged to apply / Additional languages spoken an asset.
**While we thank all applicants for their interests, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted**
Job Types: Casual, Permanent, Part-time, Full-time
Salary: $27.66 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person