Waterline is seeking a highly motivated junior-intermediate hydrogeologist to join our water resources group in British Columbia. This is a unique opportunity to work with a team of over 50 hydrogeologists and geoscientists on groundwater resource projects across Western Canada, the United States, and South America. Waterline’s senior staff with 10 years to over 35 years of experience are dedicated to guiding and mentoring our staff. There is no better place to learn and advance your career in hydrogeology.
This position can be based out of Waterline’s Nanaimo office, or from a remote office anywhere in BC. Currently we have staff working from home offices in Victoria, Courtenay, Salmon Arm, Valemount, and Smithers.
The successful candidate must have a university degree in hydrogeology or a relevant science/engineering discipline and be a critical thinker with highly developed problem-solving and communication skills. We are seeking specific qualifications as follows:
· Graduate or undergraduate degree in hydrogeology, geology, geological engineering, engineering geology, environmental engineering or related discipline,
· 2-5 years of relevant consulting and/or industry experience,
· Excellent communicator, both verbally and written, and experience working in a team environment,
· Strong work ethic with well-developed organizational and time management skills,
· Experience with drilling techniques, installation of monitoring and production wells and soil and groundwater sampling procedures,
· Experience using water level meters, data loggers, EC meters, electronic submersible pumps, etc. to gather hydrogeological and environmental data,
· Experience designing and performing slug tests, packer tests, and aquifer pumping tests,
· Practical experience or course work in data manipulation using data management tools such as Excel, MS Access, and QGIS,
· Required to have or be able to obtain standard safety tickets (e.g., H2S Alive, First Aid, and Ground Disturbance, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System, etc.). Additional safety certification may be required, depending on the nature of the project but can be completed in advance of work,
-Possesses professional designation or eligible for registration with EGBC,
- Candidates must be comfortable working in field settings, including remote locations and winter weather. The percentage of field work for this position will vary depending on experience and may range from 10 to 50% on average and approximately 80% seasonally. Office-based work will also be part of this position so that candidates develop into well-rounded consultants.
· Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada with no restrictions; and
· Preference will be given to candidates with professional accreditation in Alberta, British-Columbia or Saskatchewan.
This is an opportunity to execute groundwater resource projects related to water supply development, well field and aquifer monitoring/management, and environmental impact assessments. The position will include the following day-to-day activities:
· Interacting and reporting to clients and internal Waterline project managers,
· Supervising drilling, well installation, and water quality sampling,
· Performing aquifer tests,
· Compiling field notes and preparing tables, graphs, and figures for presentation to clients,
· Proposal and report writing.
Waterline was founded in 2000 by three hydrogeologists with the mission to deliver practical, scientifically defensible solutions to our clients with a focus on high quality service. Over the last 23 years, Waterline has steadily grown into a small-mid size employee-owned company, with offices in Calgary and Nanaimo. Waterline is recognized as an industry leader in specialized hydrogeology services and is proud to offer a flexible work environment to our staff. Many of Waterline’s staff are shareholders, so they participate in the direction of the company and share in its success.
Waterline is proud to offer the following to all staff:
· Flexible and friendly working environment based on a healthy work/life balance;
· Safe work environment in accordance with our COR certified Health and Safety program led by a designated H&S coordinator;
· Formal mentorship program with access to principal level hydrogeologists with over 35 years’ experience;
· Comprehensive Compensation Package, including:
o Competitive base salary
o Investment allowance
o Field and office bonuses based on performance
o Industry leading health benefits package that includes a health spending account and life insurance, and
o Opportunity for share ownership in the company.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, please be advised that only candidates that meet the qualification requirements will be contacted.
Learn more about Waterline at www.waterlineresources.com.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30.00-$38.59 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Nanaimo, BC V9R 6W2: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Are you legally permitted to work in Canada?
- Do you have a degree in geology, hydrogeology, environmental engineering, environmental science, or geoscience? Waterline is not currently seeking chemical or mechanical engineering candidates.
- Do you have a valid driver's license?
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Nanaimo, BC V9R 6W2