Mental Health Support Worker:
This permanent part-time position requires the successful applicant to be available Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
The Mental Health Support Worker (MHSW), under the direction of the Clinical Rehabilitation Manager, provides supportive partnerships to residents with serious and persistent mental illness by facilitating client centred goal-oriented care plans. The MHSW’s at VIMHS use the principles of Psychosocial Rehabilitation to guide their work. MHSW’s work collaboratively with the Nurse, the Rehabilitation Manager and their team members and contribute to the ongoing development and operation of the program.
We are looking for self-directed, positive, and energetic people to support, motivate, and encourage clients to live safely and as independently as possible and make use of community rehabilitation, education, social and recreation programs. Candidates will be familiar with the services and resources in the community and work closely to provide information and support as needed. We are seeking candidates with a genuine desire to work with clients who may be struggling with substance use, mental wellness, poverty and homelessness, and who are able to advocate for clients while maintaining clear boundaries.
- Mental Health Support Worker Program graduate, or diploma in a related human/social service field and a minimum of two years related experience,
- or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation and recovery oriented practice.
- Knowledge of concurrent disorders and community resources.
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR-C.
- Valid Food Safe Certificate
- Valid Non Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate
- Immunization Record with TB Test.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.
- Criminal Record Check for Vulnerable Persons
- Advocacy skills, and genuine concern and respect for mental health clients
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with diverse clients
- Excellent self knowledge and good boundaries
- Effective listening, observation and recording abilities
- Strong collaboration skills to work effectively as a cohesive team
- Ability to communicate information effectively through a variety of means
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time
Part-time hours: 22 per week
Salary: $29.83-$32.31 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Every Weekend
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Nanaimo, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Mental Health and Addictions: 2 years (required)
Work Location: In person