Assistant Store Manager
“Must be able to relocate to remote and rural communities in difficult-to-reach markets in the Northern most regions of our Canadian provinces, Nunavut”
Do you enjoy using your confidence, pride, and passion to meet the needs of your community? The North West Company (NWC) is hiring an Assistant Store Manager. Bring your high-level retail experience and excitement to assist in leading and developing a team at NWC. As the Assistant Store Manager, you’re an ambitious hands-on manager of a high-volume operation, and you possess strong organizational and delegation skills.
Ready to embrace your direction? Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture. You must be able to re-locate to remote regions in Northern Canada. You receive benefits such as subsidized housing and food allowance, paid vacation travel, bonus and profit sharing opportunities, ability to bank what you earn and more! We even have, and encourage, employment opportunities for spouses.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information. Go North.
- Assist in the development of plans to achieve financial goals and communicate these goals to the store team in all departments;
- Participate in ordering appropriate merchandise and tailor to the specific market needs to maximize sales’ opportunities;
- Respond accordingly and professionally to all customer inquiries or complaints;
- Assist in driving sales through promotional offerings, reaching sales targets and increasing profits;
- Monitor the level of customer service and satisfaction within the store and take action as required to address issues;
- Assist in leading and controlling the goals and standards for the store;
- Provide store personnel with the necessary products and sales training to ensure customers have an excellent shopping experience;
- Act as a brand and product ambassador; and
- Assist with vendor coordination and budget administration.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ management experience, preferably in a high-volume grocery/retail environment;
- Preferably a degree in retail, business, or a marketing-related field is an asset;
- You’re happy to take on responsibility as a good team leader and remain calm under pressure, in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience in retail distribution, budget planning, merchandise displays, inventory control, cost control, and revenue generation;
- Your approachable demeanour makes you a fantastic team leader and mentor;
- You effectively prioritize duties and pay close attention to detail, aiding your strength in overseeing stock control and receiving orders;
- You’re innovative, creative, commercial, and dynamic with high levels of enthusiasm to succeed, strengthening your ability to communicate at all levels;
- You drive a culture that empowers your colleagues to strive for excellence for their customers, and you know how to make changes quickly and effectively; and
- You’re a role model to your colleagues and community.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. NWC employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
NOTE: If an existing employee is selected for a posted position they will be required to remain in that position a minimum of one year prior to applying for other posted positions unless authorized by their current supervisor. New employees to the company must also remain in their position a minimum of one year prior to applying for posted positions unless authorized by their supervisor.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.