Working in and from the worksite, the Health Care Aide works under the direction of Management to provide health services to residents. Observes and documents the residents’ health condition and environment, reports significant and unsafe observations and provides support and guidance.
What’s In It For You?
- Fulfilling work supporting the most vulnerable members of our communities.
- Competitive salary and extended benefits.
- Comprehensive training program.
- Opportunity for growth and development within the organization
Salary: $28.32 per hour
Hours and Days of Work- Monday to Sunday Morning (8am-4pm) & Evening Shifts (4pm-12am)
Functions & Responsibilities
Under direction of the Site Manager, it is the Health Care Aide responsibility to:
- Assists residents with activities of daily living including personal hygiene (bathing, grooming, shaving, hair and nail care), dressing, assistance with personal equipment and appliances, transferring and toileting.
- Assisting client to complete wound dressings when needed.
- Monitors residents by methods such as observing resident’s health condition and environment including functional ability, living arrangement, and family supports, documenting behavioural, physical and cognitive changes in accordance with standard procedures or specific directions, and reporting significant and unsafe observations to delegate.
- Provides input and feedback in the care planning process by participating in team reports and care conferences, discussing/recommending changes to treatment plan and collaborating with multidisciplinary team. Encourage clients to attend appointments and medical follow up in coordination with care team.
- Assists residents to meet their needs for elimination by observing urinary and bowel functions. Administers enemas and suppositories as directed by care plan.
- Assists in meeting the Nutritional needs of residents by ensuring that they are positioned and prepared for meal times, serving meals and nourishments, feeding clients who require assistance, monitoring the intake of food and fluids.
- Performs tasks such as administration of medication, catheter care and the application of TED stockings under the Transfer of Function guidelines for clients in specific situations for which training has been provided.
- Maintains a safe environment for residents by performing duties such as checking operation of equipment to ensure safe working order, and reporting incident/equipment problems or general safety concerns to management.
- Maintains an awareness of community resources and agencies and makes this information available to clients.
- Attends and participates in staff development programs, team meetings, and other meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Education, Training & Experience:
- A minimum of one (1) year post-secondary education from a recognized Care Aide Program or an equivalent.
- One year of recent related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Certificate in First Aid/CPR
- Successful Criminal record check
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work in a harm reduction environment which includes an observed consumption area, as well as familiarization with the principles of harm reduction.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, exercise initiative and good judgment 4. Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients, staff and management and collateral service providers.
- Home management skills.
- Ability to instruct.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills.
- Ability to assist with medication support and to follow established policies and procedures.
- Advocacy skills.
- Ability to work in a low barrier housing environment with sensitivity to the population of shelter and supportive housing environment.
Community Builders is a growing non-profit housing provider based in Vancouver which strives to offer a superior level of service, housing and support to the most underserved and vulnerable members of our communities. With 20 years of expertise in Vancouver's urban core area, specializing in multi-residential housing acquisition and operation, community development; support for persons with physical health, mental health and addictions issues; property management; emergency housing provision; and social enterprise development. Community Builders utilizes a bottom-up development approach that empowers participants to find their own paths to wellness. Community Builders supports inclusive environments which allow participants to achieve their personalized goals and operate housing centres that are safe and supportive.
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination/harassment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Types: Casual, Permanent, Part-time, Full-time
Part-time hours: 16-40 per week
Salary: $28.32 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
- Weekends only
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
Work Location: In person