We are seeking a compassionate, collaborative and client-centred individual to Coordinate the Cultivating Abilities job readiness program. There is a focus on participant support and mentorship/shadowing as well as working directly and educationally/collaboratively with committed employers. Participants involved in the employment program experience barriers to employment which may include neurodiversity, disability and/or mental health. The 11-week program, in partnership with Service Canada, consists of paid onsite training, workshops and certification training along with 8 weeks of paid quality work experience in the community. This position is responsible for driving a 12-person van, which requires a Class 4 unrestricted license - applicants who are willing to obtain this license within 3 months of hire are welcome to apply.
The Cultivating Abilities Life Skills Coordinator will lead groups of 8 adult participants in developing job readiness skills, and transitioning into gainful, meaningful employment. The Coordinator is responsible for leading by example, creating a safe space for everyone to learn and leading with a compassionate trauma-informed approach to empower participants to develop life and food skills that will support healthy lifelong routines.
This position works as part of a collaborative employment team to work with other existing Foodshare programming to practice skills and establish work experience (farming, food skills classes and food-sales/service). The CA Life Skills Coordinator will supervise and guide 2 staff and/or practicum students to facilitate, train and support participants to set and achieve their employment goals.
Coordination of Applicants and Selection of Participants
- Update program promotional materials and application process
- Recruit, interview, assess, and orient participants with barriers to employment
- Meet with Case Managers and support workers for referral process
Training, Facilitation and Student Support
- Manage training materials - tailored to meet each group’s needs
- Program planning and implementation
- Provide one-on-one support to participants
- Implement a case-management approach to tracking participant development and monitoring participant goals and challenges
- Facilitate various workshops (topics include communication, relationship building, self-care)
- Drive participants to various program locations using NFS passenger van (unrestricted Class 4)
Work Experience Placements
- Recruit work experience hosts, prepare and monitor contracts
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation procedures for participants and employers
- Refer participants to appropriate mental health and supportive community resources
- Manage budget and program targets
- Mentor practicum students to implement program operations
- Complete written and oral reports
- Exercise evaluation and reporting procedures
This position reports to the Program Manager.
The following positions report to the CA Life Skills Coordinator: Employability Coordinator, Inclusion Coordinator & practicum students.
Established in 1997 Nanaimo Foodshare Society connects the community with resources, skills, and knowledge to create change that increases healthy food for everyone. Specifically, we:
● Work with community partners to address hunger in the community
● Build food skills
● Bring the community together to share resources
● Build community capacity to provide healthy foods to everyone.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, preference will be given to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada. Nanaimo Foodshare is committed to employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including women, people of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression; Indigenous peoples; visible minorities and racialized
people; and people with disabilities.
This position has the likelihood of extension pending the anticipated funding is awarded for the next cycle.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 24 months
Salary: $23.00-$24.75 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Nanaimo, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have experience running Canadian Government funded projects?
- If you do not currently have a Class 4 commercial license, review: https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/types-licences/Pages/Get-your-commercial-driver-licence.aspx
and type "committed to pass" below.
If you DO HAVE a(n unrestricted) Class 4 Drivers License - how long have you hard it?
- What examples of trauma-informed practice training/experience are you confident in applying to this position?
- Class 5 Licence or higher (required)
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-10-02