The Cook is responsible for creating menus, and for food preparation under the supervision of the Hospitality Manager and the daily direction of the Chef. The Cook is responsible for maintaining the highest standards in food handling, hygiene, safety, and customer satisfaction in the performance of all job duties.
(Note: this is a regular full-time position but may be subject to short periods of layoff if Bistro is closed during some weeks of the Academic year.)
SUPERVISORY FUNCTIONS: None
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Prepare and present food in an appealing and timely manner and in accordance with all appropriate safety and food handling guidelines and regulations
- Work independently as required but always function as an effective member of the hospitality team with particular emphasis on collaborative teamwork during mealtimes and during special catered events
- Ensure a high level of customer satisfaction through quality control of food, hygiene, and service, adopting a customer-focused approach at all times.
- Move readily among required tasks, multi-tasking and adapting with minimal direction to busy times or other changing requirements of the day
- Ensure all equipment is cleaned, used, and maintained properly and that all storage and work areas are kept clean and orderly
- Perform other duties such as storage of incoming supplies, cleaning, etc. as directed by Chef or Hospitality Manager
- Create menus in collaboration with the Chef
- Participate in meetings and training as required
- Satisfactory criminal record check
- Fully supportive of the integration of faith and learning in a Christian university-level setting and a commitment to the Mission of Booth University College
- Ability to integrate your Christian faith within the workplace
- Completion of a recognized course in institutional food preparation
- Successful completion of Food Service Handlers Course
- Two years related experience
- Ability to work collaboratively in an environment that values team function
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an openness to change and a positive, adaptive attitude
- Ability to stay organized and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to use knowledge of effective body mechanics to handle bulk items and to tolerate standing, walking, bending and lifting for extended periods during the workday
2. Assets (Preferred Qualifications)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel as well as basic knowledge of POS (Point of Sales) systems
(The description of essential functions above illustrates various types of work performed but is not all-inclusive. Other duties may be assigned by your supervisor. Given the nature of the organization and the workload, it is expected that all employees be flexible. Booth University College may revise the job description, title, reporting relationship and job duties.)
This is a full -time position with 37.5 hours per week. In addition to the compensation package, we also provide a benefits package that includes health, dental, and other group benefits, vacation and sick leave, RRSP, and a tuition bursary program. Booth University College offers a stimulating university college environment, a mission-driven purpose, and the opportunity to contribute to change as Booth UC moves forward on its commitment to its mission: Education for a Better World.
Applications may be submitted in confidence to Human Resources; Booth University College by email (https://boothuc.ca/about/employment-opportunities/).
Applications must include a cover letter. In the letter describe why you want to work at Booth University College. Also, please detail what key strengths you bring to this position.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply however, in accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Accommodations are available upon request throughout the recruitment process.
About Booth University College
Booth UC is a Christian university college located in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) and rooted in The Salvation Army’s history of meeting the needs of the most vulnerable in society. As an open-enrollment institution, we welcome students from many different backgrounds, cultures, and countries. Deeply committed to social justice, we blend Christian faith and rigorous scholarship with a passion for service.
Our approach to learning is anchored in academic excellence and based on a vision of social justice, hope, and mercy for all. We are committed to our mission: Education for a Better World. This is described in our mission statement:
William and Catherine Booth University College, a Christian university college rooted in The Salvation Army’s Wesleyan theological tradition, brings together Christian faith, rigorous scholarship, and a passion for service. The University College educates students to understand the complexities of our world, to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to be active contributors to society, and to know how the Christian faith compels them to bring hope, social justice, and mercy into our world.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Winnipeg, MB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Restaurant Cooking: 2 years (required)
- Food Service Handlers Course (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-03