Term: Full-Time until March 31, 2024 (with possibility for extension)
Geographic Catchment Area:
Kamloops which is located within the unceded Secwépemcul'ecw and home of the Two Rivers Métis Society.
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm
The Michif Elder & Cultural Coordinator will lead the redesign of the LMO Michif Elders Council and support the implementation of the revised roles, responsibilities, and activities of Elders to best support the LMO Michif Practice Model. The coordinator will also lead the coordination of learning events, luncheons and other activities that will promote the meaningful inclusion of Michif Elders in LMO’s practice, employee cultural learning, programming, and services. Further, the Coordinator will coordinate cultural learning opportunities for staff and clients and maintain the agency’s cultural resources to support the cultural enrichment of the children, youth and families served by LMO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the main point of contact for all tasks and meetings regarding the LMO Michif Elders Council. This includes working in partnership with Michif Elders to redesign of the Council’s terms of reference and the roles, responsibilities, and activities of Elders in LMO’s practice and service delivery model.
- Provides recommendations for elder program changes and improvements to the Executive Director for Board of Director approval.
- Organizes and plans monthly Elder’s Luncheons, learning events and other activities: including invitations, RSVPs, catering, location, etc.
- Coordinates and monitors referrals to Elders.
- Fosters positive connections between Elders and staff, clients, and community.
- Reviews Elder timesheets, noting discrepancies, and submitting to the appropriate manager for approval.
- Travels between office locations regularly and may be required to transport Elders.
- Acquire, maintain, and care for cultural tools and resources within LMO, including cultural gifts, books, etc.
- Maintains up to date inventory of cultural resources and tracks distribution of gifts to LMO clients.
- Promotes and supports the Michif Team learn and use the Michif language, values, and cultural teachings throughout service delivery.
- Other duties as requested by the Executive Director
Qualifications & Job Requirements
- Completion of a diploma in Indigenous Studies or Social Services.
- 2 years related experience in a fast-paced office environment.
- Knowledge of Métis history, language (s), values, culture, and community.
- Experience with Windows 10 or 11 Operating System and Microsoft Office Systems
- Completion of a Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Course
- Valid Level 1 First Aid and CPR Certificate
- Criminal Record Check
- Valid Driver’s License and driving record.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, innovative, and highly organized and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate presentations in front of large numbers of people.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high paced, high energy, and high stressed work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm, respectful, and de-escalate challenging confrontations and situation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple requests from multiple departments.
- Demonstrated experience delivering culturally safe services and working respectfully with Métis People.
- Classification: Volunteer Coordinator (Grid 12), of the BCGEU Indigenous Services Collective Agreement with full benefits package following successful completion of three-month probation period.
- BCGEU Indigenous Service Employees are entitled to receive a retention bonus at the end of each fiscal year (until expiration of current collective agreement).
- LMO Employees receive an annual wellness stipend following a successful probation and have the ability to participate in an Earned Time Off Schedule.
- As per current PHO orders regarding CLBC funded service providers, all employees of Lii Michif Otipemisiwak Family and Community Services are required to be fully vaccinated.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 16 months
Salary: $28.32 per hour
Expected hours: 35 per week
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-05-25