Continuing Studies and Corporate Training
Other Flexible Work Options
Under the general direction of the Director, Continuing Studies, the Program Administrator leads the design, development and implementation of new Continuing Studies certificate programs. Priorities for this work include developing relevant, high quality educational opportunities and meeting or exceeding revenue targets within the Division. The Program Administrator is responsible for facilitating the necessary arrangements and requirements to implement approved new programs and/or working with the Program Coordinator to ensure required details are carried out to meet the goals and objectives of the program. This includes completing Levels 1 and 2 market/feasibility analysis and Education Council program proposals. Development work will also include guiding curriculum development and instructional design.
Often, the Program Administrator will pilot the new certificate program, including working with the Marketing and Communications Specialist to create related promotional plans; completing the recruitment and selection of Continuing Studies instructors for new courses; and orienting and supporting program coordinators responsible for future delivery of the program.
This position reviews the effectiveness of programs (including Tier 3 reviews), projects and services. The Program Administrator works with program advisory committees and subject matter experts to complete substantive Continuing Studies program revisions, including submissions for approval by Education Council, and managing changes to curriculum and instructional design.
This position also develops and prepares funding proposals for training delivery, including government workforce development projects and corporate training with various private, public, Aboriginal and non-profits organizations. This work can include negotiation with clients, and the development of new courses or the customization of existing programs and courses to meet client requirements.
Functions and Duties
1. Maintains knowledge of current developments in relevant programming areas as well as future trends and conditions which may affect Continuing Studies programs and services;
2. Assists management in developing and implementing short and medium range plans, policies and procedures for Continuing Studies;
3. Monitors and scans environment, including labour market information and other sponsored training opportunities, for new programs, contracts and projects. Makes recommendations for and participates as lead or facilitator to coordinate and develop organizational responses;
4. Completes Level I and Level II market/feasibility assessments including detailed financial analysis as assigned, analyzes information and makes recommendations for new program and course ideas;
5. Plans, initiates, manages and leads the design and development of certificate programs including completing proposals for Curriculum and Program Review Committee, Education Council and Deans’ Forum;
6. Plans, leads and evaluates initial launch of new programs, also orients and supports the program coordinator(s) designated to the program in order to be able to proceed successfully with future delivery of the program;
7. Collaborates with business, government agencies, community organizations, and continuing education professional associations to identify and initiate new training contracts and prepare proposals for major clients/projects;
8. Works collaboratively with other faculties, portfolios, institutions, organizations, businesses and advisory committees to identify, develop, coordinate and deliver specific continuing education and contract training;
9. Prepares an annual plan, new program and contract budgets in accordance with established policies and procedures;
10. Monitors revenue and expenditure statements relative to approved budgets with the goal of meeting or exceeding targets and takes corrective action as appropriate where variances or problems are noted;
11. Performs regular reviews of programs, projects and services, including Tier 3 reviews of existing certificate programs;
12. Works with program advisory committees and subject matter experts to complete substantive program revisions, including submissions for approval by Education Council;
13. Ensures student concerns, complaints and suggestions are addressed in a timely fashion;
14. In cooperation with the Marketing and Communications Specialist, develops, implements and evaluates promotional strategies for new programs, projects and contracts, including marketing plans, personal contacts, media, brochures and flyers and other marketing initiatives;
15. Responsible for recruitment, selection, supervision and evaluation of Continuing Studies instructors for new Continuing Studies courses;
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related area, with particular emphasis on technical writing, project management, and instructional design. 4 to 6 years related experience, preferably in a post-secondary education environment, designing, developing and delivering adult learning opportunities and utilizing commonly used student information, registration and finance systems.
Skills and Abilities
Superior research skills with ability to synthesize data/information and develop/deliver findings and recommendations
Excellent technical writing and oral and written presentation ability
Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement and lifelong learning
Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a collaborative team environment, and in taking initiative with limited supervision/direction
Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with internal and external contacts
Must be flexible, extremely detail-oriented and able to manage high work volume and conflicting priorities in order to meet deadlines
Demonstrated project management skills
Creative problem solver
Strong budgeting and analytical skills
Proficiency in using Microsoft Office and complex databases, to generate and analyze reports
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate
Range $77,408 to $113,532. Typical Hiring Range $92,890 to $103,211
Exempt - Continuing Full-time
Special Instructions to Applicants