The Tenant Support Worker (TSW) provides assistance and support to individuals experiencing a range of mental health and substance use issues in our supportive housing program. The TSW ensures the safety and security of the building while encouraging independence, responsibility, and the healthiest life style possible for program residents. Residential support, maintenance and janitorial duties are also part of this role.
The Housing Support Worker reports to the Team Lead and Management
- Provide program residents with information about housing and housing guidelines.
- Provide orientation for tenants moving into supportive housing.
- Promote positive resident choices about activities of daily living (cooking, cleaning, laundry) and support positive resident choices by providing guidance and assistance where appropriate.
- Encourage personal hygiene when appropriate, including providing instruction to residents on how to use on-site laundry facilities.
- Encourage and support residents and provide information, emotional, organizational and practical support..
- Provides safe, friendly encouragement to tenants; model communication skills, appropriate boundaries and healthy living choices.
- Assist tenants in completing paperwork as required, including housing applications.
Cleaning and Maintenance
- Report any building maintenance issues
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness, adhere to COVID safety protocols and ensure protocols are maintained.
- Clean and prepare pods for move-ins according to established room cleaning protocols;
- Re-stock facility supplies and notifies supervisor when purchases are necessary.
- Maintain security of the building by performing regular walk throughs to check that doors and windows are secure.
Safety and Security
- Observe and report any changes in resident behavior.
- Investigate and manage disturbances according to VIMHS safety policies and procedures.
- Deal with resident emergencies in accordance to VIMHS safety protocols, and report to supervisors and/ or authorities as required.
- Request unwelcome visitors exit the building and/or obtaining appropriate services to assist.
- Document all breaches of residents policy and ensures appropriate parties are notified.
- Complete intake and discharge procedures.
- Record observations to keep staff informed.
- Maintain inventory and submit supply requisition as required.
- Maintain filing and paperwork
- Ability to develop rapport with marginalized individuals
- High level of empathy and compassion
- Knowledge of harm reduction approach
- Knowledge of mental health, addictions and homelessness
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Minimum 6 months recent related experience and community support worker diploma, or equivalent education and training.
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR-C
- Valid Food Safe Level One Certification
- Naloxone Training
- Crisis Intervention Skills Training (non-violent crisis intervention/ managing hostile interactions) an asset
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $25.27-$27.86 per hour
- Casual dress
- Employee assistance program
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- NANAIMO, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
Work Location: In person