Choices for Youth Inc. (CFY) is a professional service, youth-focused, non-profit, charitable organization that creates spaces and conversations, and operates programs and social enterprises to help vulnerable youth secure stable housing, employment, and education while improving health and family stability. With a focus on prevention, intervention, and support, we help youth and young families break cycles of poverty and homelessness and transition to healthy, stable, and independent lives.
Crust is a Choices for Youth social enterprise, and we are currently seeking 1 part-time Kitchen Supervisor for our Bakery + Pizzeria at 36 Pearson Street. At Crust we celebrate diversity and offer a safe, inclusive workspace while offering hands on work experience in our Bakery and Coffee shop.
Becoming a supervisor at a Choices for Youth Social Enterprise means learning something new every day. We offer a dynamic workspace that provides the opportunity to learn rewarding skills supporting the work experience of at-risk youth. The successful applicant should be comfortable working as a team lead and have exceptional communication skills.
Reporting to the food operations lead and manager, the front of house supervisor will be responsible for hands-on training with young people to develop effective retail skills and providing mentorship.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Supervises and facilitates on-the-job training of youth employees engaged in the production of food, food retail, and catering service, ensuring a consistent level of service for all shifts and market events.
· Working with our designated support staff to develop best work practices and ensure goals are being met.
· Manages and coordinates consistency in our food production, retail, and catering activities.
· Ensures all applicable provincial, and federal food handling policies are complied with pertaining to food safety and food handling.
· Inventories goods on hand and initiates purchase orders for all food goods for the social enterprise’ products. Ensures all supplies necessary for food production and any events are present.
· Analyzes and monitors food and supply costs data on daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Reports to the Food Operations Lead as needed to ensure food service operations stay within allotted budget.
· Other duties performed as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· 3-5 years in an artisanal and/or commercial bakery, and/or pizzeria setting.
· Experience in a kitchen management role an asset
· Recognized cooking certificate an asset.
· Strong leadership skills; comfortable making decisions and instructing; positive and upbeat personality.
· Excellent time management skills
· Comfortable working with the public
· Inventory management principles
· Support experience in an employment-based setting, considered an asset.
· Demonstrated skill in working with diverse cultural, ethnic, and academic backgrounds.
The position will work 25-30 hours per week. Flexibility in work hours will be required to accommodate youth and program needs and to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining how you meet the criteria and using the reference ID in the subject line.
Reference ID: KS-09-2023
Choices for Youth (CFY) strives towards a culture of inclusion and empowerment, one where there’s a sense of belonging and safety while prioritizing diversity across the organization, including in its Board of Directors composition, employment practices, staff, policies, programming, and services. CFY values lived and living experience and invites everyone interested to apply for available opportunities. CFY actively seeks applications from Indigenous Peoples; members of Black, racialized, and other equity-seeking and/or religious, cultural, and other communities; members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community; people with disabilities; and people from a variety of social and economic backgrounds. Should you require support or accommodation(s) to better enable your ability to participate in the employment or recruitment process, please let us know at any point. This information will be kept confidential.
To view all current job postings, please visit http://www.choicesforyouth.ca/join-cfy.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 25-30 per week
Salary: $19.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (preferred)
- artisanal and/or commercial bakery, and/or pizzeria setting: 3 years (preferred)
- kitchen management: 1 year (preferred)
- Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-05