I am looking for an enthusiastic, energetic, detail-oriented, active, and responsible female to work for 8-12 months, starting August or early September 2023. I am an active 31-year-old female who has a motor neuron disease called Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I am physically dependent on someone else for all aspects of personal care. The successful candidate would support me while I am at work and accompany me to my extracurricular commitments (i.e., volunteer meetings, medical appointments). This is a fun, hand-on, and unique employment opportunity where you would assist me with personal care, complete minor administrative tasks when I am at work, and have fun adventuring around Vancouver with me as well.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting me with my active lifestyle and day-to-day tasks both at work, in the community, and in my home
- Personal care (feeding, dressing, showering, and bladder/bowel care)
- Transfers via mechanical lift or manual lift
- Administering medication (I direct my own care, and no medical experience/knowledge is necessary)
- Performing other tasks as needed to help me live my life independently
Qualifications of a successful applicant:
- Experience working with marginalized populations, specifically Persons with Disabilities, along with some University education (nursing/medical experience is NOT a requirement)
- Open to an 8-12 month working contract and would be willing to work 15-35 hours/week (2-5 days/week; 6-10 hours/shift; please specify the number of days you would be interested in working)
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and be willing to show proof of vaccination; Must be willing to wear a medical mask and follow COVID safety precautions
- Willing to take direction quickly and can work independently, while respecting the privacy and space of my colleagues and family
- Fluent in oral and written English
Wage: $20-$22/hour + 4% vacation pay (wage increases expected in the future contingent on funding)
This job may be ideal for individuals who are part-time University students, have recently graduated University, or are currently taking a gap year from their studies. Many of my staff are University students who have minimal healthcare experience, but many individuals have goals to pursue healthcare or Graduate studies in the future. This position is a stepping stone to working in the healthcare sector, and many of my staff have shared that this position has been one of the most unique learning opportunities they have ever had.
If you are unsure whether you meet all the requirements of the position (i.e., you cannot commit to working the stated number of hours/week or the 8-12 month contract), I would still welcome your application. Finding an outstanding individual who is compatible with my interests, career path, and goals is my top priority! =)
I will be providing extensive training – If you are a passionate individual who values positivity and challenges, while striving to meet the needs of others, I would love for you to apply by completing this short survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LQG6F8C.
I thank all those that apply, but only the applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time, Full-time
Part-time hours: 15-35 per week
Salary: $20.00-$23.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
- Secondary School (required)
Work Location: In person