Salary range: The salary range for this position is CAD $28.74 - $28.74 / hour Why Fraser Health?:
Fraser Health continues to be recognized as one of BC's Top Employers, are you someone who is passionate about making a difference in the lives of others?
Fraser Health is responsible for the delivery of hospital and community-based health services to over 1.9 million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon on the traditional territories of the Coast Salish and Nlaka’pamux Nations.
Our team of 45,000 staff, medical staff and volunteers is dedicated to serving our patients, families and communities to deliver on our vision: Better health, best in health care.
Effective October 26th, 2021, all new hires to Fraser Health will need to have full COVID 19 vaccination (have received a full series of a World Health Organization “WHO” approved vaccine against infection by SARS-COV-2, or a combination of approved WHO vaccines). Please note this applies to all postings, and individual medical exemptions must be approved by the Provincial Health Officer.
Come work with us!
Fraser Health is proudly recognized as a BC Top Employer. Joining our team offers you opportunities to work in a rapidly growing organization with health professionals who are excellent in their respective fields, career growth and advancement, a competitive compensation package (including four weeks of vacation to start, comprehensive health benefits, and pension plan), and the rewarding opportunity to make a difference every single day in health care.
Connect with us!
Connect with us on our Careers social channels where you’ll learn about exciting opportunities, get career tips from our recruiters, and meet some of your future team members! You can also visit us on Indeed and Glassdoor.
Instagram | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | TikTok
Detailed Overview: In accordance with the Mission and Values of Fraser Health, the Health Care Assistant works under the direction of a professional nurse (Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Nurse Practitioner (NP)), in cooperation with the interprofessional care team, and following established care plans and person-centered care. Provides personal care to patients such as assisting with toileting, bathing, skin and hair care, oral hygiene, grooming, dressing, changing beds, patient positioning and mobilization. Observes and reports patient progress, assists patients with meals, transports patients, and performs related general duties. Responsibilities:
- Provides personal care to patients such as assisting patients with toileting, bathing, skin and hair care, oral hygiene, grooming, dressing, changing beds, patient positioning and mobilization.
- Observes and reports patient progress including anticipated/unanticipated patient responses to care, patient discomfort and/or pain, skin breakdowns, and unusual incidents and/or accidents to the designated RN/RPN/LPN/NP.
- Assists patients with meals by completing menu slips, checking meals to ensure the maintenance of dietary restrictions, serving and collecting meal trays and feeding designated patients.
- As directed by the RN/RPN/LPN/NP, takes temperature, pulse, respiration, and weight and obtains non-sterile specimens such as urine and stool.
- Transports patients using mechanical aids such as wheelchairs, lifts and stretchers.
- Assists in the admission, discharge and transfer of patients including the transfer/care of clothing and personal belongings.
- Sets up charts for new patients and attaches documents to charts as directed by the RN/RPN/LPN/NP and according to established protocols.
- Performs a variety of related general duties such as answering the phone, maintaining storage areas, ordering supplies through stores, transporting specimens, maintaining and locating inventory of equipment, cleaning and caring for equipment such as commodes/bed pans, and maintaining tidy patient rooms and patient care areas.
- Attends internal/external committees, patient care meetings and training sessions as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Education and Experience
Grade 10 plus graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Current Food Safe Level One, as required.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.