Simply put, the purpose of The Village Langley, and all those who work here, is to enable to well-being of those we serve.
The Village aspires to be much more than a community that supports and cares for people living with a dementia diagnosis. We strive to be a place where, through the dedicated service of our team members, each Villager has an enriched living experience and lives their own best life, each- and-every day.
The role of a Village team member is to facilitate an enriched living experience for each Villager by fostering and nurturing relationships: enabling Villagers to control and manage their day: enabling feelings of safety, security & connectedness to people and things that matter to each person: establishing trusting relationships with families: enabling learning of new things, and: making meaningful contributions within The Village and surrounding communities. Our success is largely determined by the amount of joy, love and laughter experienced by each of those we serve - Villagers, staff volunteers and local community.
The Village Community Support Worker supports and guides Villagers with their personal and instrumental activities of daily living, based on their needs and preferences including but not limited to physical, social, spiritual, spatial and life enrichment goals. They apply therapeutic communication skills to facilitate Villager expression of personal needs and preferences. They complete required documentation and report observations of changes in Villager presentation to assigned supervisors.
To an assigned Household Leadership team.
HOUSEHOLD TEAM SUPPORT
- Provides support to Villagers in accordance with their plan of care or personal service plan, including dressing, hygiene and other duties as delegated by Village Management.
- Promotes personal independence within a household living setting, applying a social-relational model of care.
- Provides support to persons living with a diagnosis of dementia, including cognitive, social, and emotional support, according to SafeCare BC and Regulatory standards.
- Uses proper body mechanics encourages the use of mobility aides such as wheelchairs, and walkers as directed by manufacturer instruction, in accordance with Villager plans of care or personal service plans. The use of mechanical lift and transfer equipment is prohibited.
- Supports Villager health and safety by sharing accountability for safe supervision, emergency response, falls prevention and reportable incidents.
- Supports Villagers with life enrichment opportunities such as exercise, walking programs, creative arts & craft programs, social events, and entertainment to promote personal independence and enjoyment.
- Supports Villagers with nutrition intake by providing direct and indirect meal assistance, including meal preparation, creative plating of food, and food service.
- Reports on observation of Villager well-being including physical, cognitive, and behavioral changes to assigned supervisors in an objective and timely manner.
- Supports Villager safety by maintaining a clean and orderly home-like environment in all community areas.
- Cleans and disinfects high touch surfaces and common areas, including Villager suites, kitchen areas and washrooms.
- Performs personal laundry and linens tasks.
- Maintains Villager rights to privacy, confidentiality and respect.
- Applies therapeutic communication techniques to help Villagers express their preferences.
- Works co-operatively with families, friends, volunteers, contracted service providers, and other colleagues.
- Maintains current knowledge of, and complies with, all Village Langley and Verve Senior Living policies and procedures.
- Participates in Village Langley and Verve Senior Living Committees including: Health and Safety, Infection Control, Racial Equity, Quality Improvement.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WorkSafe BC and Workplace Hazardous Material Information Systems. This includes recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, fulfilling responsibilities under applicable legislation, as well as participating in education series and fire drills.
- Complies with all Village Langley and Verve Senior Living policies and procedures and completes all mandatory training/education.
- Assists with orientation of new staff as requested.
- Completes other duties or tasks as assigned by Village management.
Demonstrate the ability to respect spirit, dignity, and individuality of Verve’s values in all Villager interactions.
- Passion for Excellence
Continued growth and development.
- Teaching, Learning, Teamwork
- Service Intelligence
BACKGROUND / QUALIFICATIONS
A Village Community Village Support Worker will have demonstrated the following in previous endeavors and will evaluated on the following:
- Honest, truthful, and ethical
- Inspiring, dynamic, enthusiastic, positive, and optimistic
- Competent, capable, and effective
- Fair, open minded and flexible
- Cooperative and team oriented
- Caring and committed
- Organized and determined.
Professional Abilities & Qualifications
- A minimum of grade 12 education or completion of GED.
- Valid Food Safe Level 1 Certificate
- Valid WHMIS Certificate
- A certification from an approved Personal Support Worker program is considered an asset.
- Cracking the Dementia Code
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in dementia-care, memory-care, or care/support of older adults or persons with disabilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the BC Community Care and Assisted Living Act, Residential Care Regulation and Assisted Living Regulation.
- Demonstrated understanding of, or willingness to learn, the concepts of shared leadership, team empowerment, and person-directed care.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both orally and in writing.
- Computer literacy.