Waterline is seeking a Senior Hydrogeologist to join our mining services team in Western Canada. This is a unique opportunity for a self-motivated individual to take their career to the next level with a growing company of over 50 geoscientists and engineers specializing in groundwater resources. Waterline’s mining services team provides hydrogeological support on projects across Western Canada, the United States, and South America.
This position can be based out of Waterline’s offices in Nanaimo, Calgary, or from a home office anywhere in BC. Currently we have staff working from home offices in Victoria, Courtenay, Salmon Arm, Valemount, and Smithers.
The successful candidate must have a university degree in hydrogeology or a relevant engineering discipline, with a keen interest in continuing to advance their technical skills working alongside Waterline’s team of skilled senior and principal hydrogeologists. Candidates with the following specific qualifications should apply:
- Graduate or undergraduate degree in hydrogeology, geology, geological engineering, engineering geology, environmental engineering or related discipline;
- 8 or more years of relevant consulting and/or industry experience in physical hydrogeology. Consideration will be given to strong candidates with less experience and a proven track record to successfully complete projects and maintain client relationships;
- Excellent communicator, both verbally and written, and experience working in a team environment (fluent Spanish is an asset);
- Strong work ethic with well developed organizational and time management skills;
- Working knowledge and understanding of environmental legislation related to mining including the Mines Act, Environmental Management Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Water Sustainability Act, and related code and policies;
- Experience with geological modelling (e.g., Leapfrog), groundwater flow modeling (e.g., MODFLOW, FEFLOW) and/or water balance/water quality modelling (e.g., GoldSim);
- Extensive experience in managing projects, junior/intermediate staff, and client expectations and deliverables;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain existing clients and develop productive client relationships; and
- Preference will be given to candidates with professional accreditation in Aberta, Britich-Columbia or Saskatchewan.
- Provide senior technical input on a broad range of technical services, including water supply exploration and development, drilling investigations, well installation, seepage pathway assessments, dewatering assessments, baseline characterization and environmental impact assessments.
- Develop conceptual hydrogeological models and integrate these models with other science and engineering disciplines to guide decision making on critical projects.
- Lead and complete hydrogeological investigations of local and regional scale groundwater/surface water systems for environmental assessments during project development, operations, remediation, and reclamation/closure.
- Prepare technical reports and presentations for clients and public stakeholders;
- Provide expert witness services for public, regulatory, and legal proceedings.
- Provide mentorship to junior/intermediate geoscientists and engineers looking to advance their careers,
- Perform business development activities such as writing proposals, generating work plans, and most importantly building and maintaining relationships with Waterline’s existing clients;
- Support strategic planning and business development initiatives to expand Waterline’s mining services business;
- Report directly to the VP of Operations with the opportunity to assume increasing autonomy and responsibility in the areas of project management and business development.
Waterline was founded in 2000 by three hydrogeologists with the mission to deliver practical, scientifically defensible solutions to our clients with a focus on high quality service. Over the last 22 years, Waterline has steadily grown into a small-mid size employee-owned company, with offices in Calgary and Nanaimo. Waterline is recognized as an industry leader in specialized hydrogeology services and is proud to offer a flexible work environment to our staff. Many of Waterline’s staff are shareholders, so they participate in the direction of the company and share in its success.
Waterline is proud to offer the following to all staff:
- Flexible and friendly working environment based on a healthy work/life balance;
- Safe work environment in accordance with our COR certified Health and Safety program led by a designated H&S coordinator;
- Formal mentorship program with access to principal level hydrogeologists with over 35 years’ experience;
Comprehensive Compensation Package, including:
- Competitive base salary
- Investment allowance
- Field and office bonuses based on performance
- Industry leading health benefits package that includes a health spending account and life insurance, and
- Opportunity for share ownership in the company.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, please be advised that only candidates that meet the qualification requirements will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
- Are you legally permitted to work in Canada?
- Do you have a valid driver's license?
- Do you have a degree in hydrogeology, geology, geological engineering, engineering geology, or environmental engineering?
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in NANAIMO, BC